Dan Price (thwack) wrote,
Dan Price

  • Mood:

weird stuff

Things have been so weird lately. Totally change from the norm... which I guess is a good thing in some ways.

Thursday I took my lunch from 2-3pm so I could go get my hair cut, then after work I drove out to Canandaigua to get my oil changed. I know I could really do it anywhere, but I like getting it serviced at the dealership for some reason... I guess I feel more comfortable knowing that they'll be doing all the little things like chassis lubrication that the manual says should be done, since they're the ones leasing the thing to me. Plus, when the lease is up, if they try to tell me I didn't take very good care of the vehicle, I can point to the service record and say it was entirely in their hands. :) Well whatever. It's not that far out of the way.

So, then I hurried home to the K10 concert which crew was supposed to show up for at 5pm to get a run-down, but I knew I couldn't make that since I had to work 'til 5, plus the oil change, so I figured I'd show up right about when the concert actually starts - around 7. Well, I knew I wouldn't have time to go home before heading over to school, so I decided to stop by Wendy's for a quick dinner. I've never gone to Wendy's alone before. The drive-thru line was long and at a weird angle to how I came in so it was easier to just park and walk in for take-out. But then one of the registers broke down (and they only have 2). Then they asked one of the girls (who happens to look a lot like Wendy with her red hair in two side braids - kinda cool) to do order-taking in the line to speed things up, but it turns out she was never trained on how to do that. She just thought she could figure it out, but I stumped her with my simple order. All in all, it took 20 minutes just to get through the line, so by that time I figured I might as well just eat there - I'm already late. So I sat in the dining room and ate alone.

Then I got over to school and they were running a little late there anyway. The concert went well, especially considering the conductor of two of the 4(?) groups was absent because his wife just had a baby. Fortunately the groups were able to get a hold of Bob who directed the groups in the past and he guest conducted. Even though I hadn't signed up to be on the transition crew and I wasn't on the K10 committee, I showed up just to help wherever possible because at the last club meeting things were looking very dismal for John, the K10 coordinator. I'm glad it all worked out though. While backstage at one point my friend Suzy tried to tell me something about a friend of hers who is looking for someone to play piano so I should be on the lookout for her approaching me there that night.... uhm... ok. I didn't quite understand what that was about. Then, as the jazz band was getting ready to go on, this girl was wandering around backstage asking, "Is the guest conductor going to play piano? I need someone to play piano...!" all worried-like. Turns out she was doing a vocal part for one of the jazz band's songs. So I was all afraid she would be asking me to sight-read this piano part for her for the concert, which I could never do, and I was still in just a t-shirt and jeans from work anyway. She never approached me though.

After the concert I mingled with people at the reception, and then Suzy introduces me to her friend Emily. Huh? Ok, hi Emily. Who the hell are you? (I didn't say that, but I was confused at first.) Then Emily starts talking about how she's looking for someone who can play piano. Ooooooooooh! Suddenly it made a little more sense. :) So at first I'm thinking she needs me to perform for something, so I start to give her the usual spiel about how I can sound good with practice, but I'm not a gig performer or anything and I can't just sit down and jam or sight-read or improvise or stuff like that. But then it turns out that she's a film student and she just needs to get some shots of someone playing piano... and there won't even be any audio! Sure, I could do that. :) So we exchanged contact info and arranged tentatively to meet Monday night since I'd be out of town all weekend, pending availability of the auditorium that night.

Also at the reception, I met my friend Jeremy's family... and his mom said she saw me eating at Wendy's before the concert but she didn't say anything because she wasn't sure I'd recognize her (I had met her only once before several months ago). How interesting. :)

Then a bunch of people from the reception (including families of some performers) went out to Denny's for a late dinner. I wasn't that hungry so I just got dessert. Good fun was had by all, and there was much rejoicing. Yay. :)

So then I went home (this is late Thursday night now) and had to pack quick for the weekend trip down to PA and get some sleep. My dad e-mailed me saying they were planning to meet at my sister's place (about an hour drive for both of us from different directions) at 9am and he'd call me as they're about to leave in the morning. So I got packed and set my alarm for the usual 6:30 which should be enough to get me out the door around 8am.

So, Friday morning (I had the day off from work) I drove down to my sister's and met my parents. I left my car there and rode with my parents down to PA to visit my grandparents for Easter. Saturday morning I woke up with a stuffy nose and other symptoms of the common cold. How wonderful. I don't get sick very often, so it's a big deal to me when I do. This was entirely head congestion though. And I had a leaky faucet on my face. I must've blown my nose 500 times a day. If I didn't catch it, it would literally drip out of my nose. Lovely, huh?

Then Saturday night we got dressed up and headed out to one of them party/reception/catering hall places for my great uncle's 50th wedding anniversary. Congrats to him and his wife. :) There were about 10 tables of 6-8 people there... but I only knew my close relatives at our two tables plus the guests of honor. There was a cute-looking teenage girl at one of the other tables and my brother-in-law kept teasing me to go dance with her. I reminded him of Jeff Foxworthy's line: "If you go to family reunions to meet women, you might be a redneck." :) Sure, there's nothing wrong with just dancing with her, but he was suggesting way more than that, even if he was only joking, which is mainly why I responded with a joke. Anyway, I refuse to dance to the crappy music they were playing. You know why wedding dances always suck? Because they never play music you can do a real dance to. I took ballroom dancing so I would've been fine with doing a swing, cha-cha, waltz, jitterbug, tango, whatever... but not a single one of those styles was played. Oh, and the DJ was taking requests, and ended up playing some Garth Brooks song "friends in low places" or something, 'NSync's "Bye Bye Bye", and the Macarena. Aside from that, I also refused to dance because I just wasn't feeling well. My nose was running non-stop, I felt bloated and head a headache. At least for catered food, it was pretty good. It was a stuffed chicken breast with sweet carrots and string beans. I don't care for string beans though. Most importantly, it was served hot. :)

So then we headed back to the house and I went to bed around 10pm to try and let my body fight off this cold. I woke up not feeling much better. Oh well. We did Easter when the kids got up, then watched a video my grandmother had of my 1994 piano recital in which I played the 1812 Overture including cannons. I didn't know anyone had a video of that, and I'd never seen it. :) I've since forgotten how to play it because I arranged it myself from a couple sources and had my own arrangement memorized but never wrote it down. My grandmother let me borrow the tape so I could make a copy. Maybe I can study from it to re-learn that piece from myself. :) I made an mp3 from it. While watching that, my niece kept saying, "Uncle Dan, you just keep playing on and on and on and on....!" Yeah, and it was STILL an abridged arrangement of the piece. :) After that we grabbed lunch and I went home with my sister and her husband and son since he and I had to work Monday morning, while my parents and my sister's daughter stayed another night at my grandparents.

I had fun with Spencer during the ride home. He's at the age where everything is "what?" and "why?". So of course being the smartass I am, I turned this back on him. He would tell me whatever was on his mind - usually some weird explanation of the world as he sees it through his young eyes, then after he declares something I would ask him, "Why?" He'd come up with an answer and I'd just ask again, "Why?" After a few times, he would realize what I was doing, then get frustrated with a cute smile on his face and say "Stop asking why - just answer me!" Meanwhile his parents are up in the front seat having a ball. :) Probably because my sister knows I was just as annoying when I was Spencer's age and she was my age and she did the same thing to me.

When we got back to my sister's place Sunday night, Spencer just had to show me this game on his computer. Midtown Madness I think it was. It's basically a G-rated version of Carmageddon. We took turns driving. Every time it was his turn, I got up to go blow my nose. I got a quick ham sandwich for dinner then took off back to my place.

I thought I'd stop by Eckerd to get some decongestant or something to help stop my runny nose, but gee, they were closed. So I tried the 7-Eleven down the street and I'll be damned if it wasn't Apu Nahasapeemapetilon himself working that place. I wandered around but couldn't find any shelves of medication. So as I was headed out the door I asked him if they had any... he grabbed me some little single-dose packet of Nyquil from behind the counter. *sigh* I was hoping to browse a little, but it claimed it would treat my symptoms and I was desperate so I got it. But then I decided to go to Wegmans anyway to look for the decongestant I've used in the past that I knew worked. Plus I picked up some kleenex and blistex too, since blowing my nose so much had made my upper lip raw.

So I finally got home and took a dose of the stuff so I could get some sleep. I found an email from Emily saying she had secured Ingle Auditorium for the piano filming Monday night from 9-10pm.

I got up Monday morning at the usual time to go to work, but really didn't feel any better, so I decided not to go in. I e-mailed Mike and cc'd my manager to let them know. I just slept most of the day. I got showered around noon thinking I might feel well enough to go into work after lunch, but decided it wasn't worth it, even though I was feeling a little better. So I just slept a little more until later when it was time to get ready for the film shoot with Emily. She wanted me to wear something nice, so I put on the same outfit I wore to Mamma Mia! last weekend. It's the only real nice outfit I have these days.

I showed up and she was just getting her equipment moved onto the stage and the tech crew guy had just brought out the piano and hooked up some power cords for her. Basically she just had me play whatever I wanted, as long as I ignore her, and especially the camera. She had a friend come along to help with the moving shots. He pushed her around on a cart with the camera. It was a real film camera, not video, so they had to measure their light levels and set f-stops and all that stuff of which I don't have a full understanding. So I'd be playing a song as she's being wheeled around on this cart, then suddenly the camera would start clicking as she began filming and it would continue as she wraps around to the other side then stop as she keeps moving. And I just ignored it all and kept playing. Eventually she ran out of film. I guess she only had 20 feet or so. She's going to develop it herself and do some optical printing for the assignment. Sounds impressive. She said I could see the final result when she's finished if I want. If she doesn't get it transferred to video, I'll have to go meet her in a screening room to see it.

Afterwards she treated me to a smoothie at the new Java Wally's place in the library. Interesting what they did with that place. It's loud in there... and there are doors that open right out into the library. Strange. We talked for a bit and got to know each other. I was zoning out a little bit... Like I felt so comfortable talking to her that I just let my mind go on automatic and sometimes I didn't even know what words were coming out of my mouth until after I said them. That's a weird feeling. That happens sometimes when I'm speaking in front of a class or something, but it doesn't make sense that it's something associated with nervousness because I wasn't nervous sitting there with her. Just the opposite - I was more relaxed than I normally am when talking to a girl I've just met. I was trying not to think of this because it's silly, but I thought maybe that's a sign... when you're comfortable around someone from the very start. I say it's silly because she's only like a 2nd year student or something and I'm all graduated. She's svelte and I'm "average to slightly overweight". Well, the only thing I know for sure is that this was a new experience for both of us. It was her first time filming a stranger, and my first time being filmed, so neither of us really knew how to act professionally. Considering, I say it went very well. I can't wait to see what weird stuff she does with the footage. :)

Today I felt good enough to come to work. I was drizzling a little in the morning but now I've just got stuffed up ears and a tickle in my nose that makes me always want to sneeze. I can deal with that. :)

Tonight I should find a package from ThinkGeek.com. I'm gonna wear it to the RITSMA meeting tomorrow. ;-)
  • Post a new comment


    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.