Dan Price (thwack) wrote,
Dan Price

Welcome to Wyoming, Staying Awhile?

By the way, Nebraska is a really wide state, so we were driving in that for quite a while, finally crossed into Wyoming in the evening, and kept driving until about 11pm when we checked in to the Microtel in Rawlins, which is awesome in every way except that the front desk employees were nowhere to be found, and we were in a hurry to check in.  I ended up dialing 0 from the front desk phone to find out who would answer it, and someone showed up after 4 rings, but it wasn't someone who could check us in - she had to go get someone else.  Were they off sleeping somewhere or what?  Otherwise, the hotel was great - seemed to be brand new.  I thought it was weird they had no comment cards, but I would have given them 5 stars all around except for the front desk issue.

Early next morning, we got up and headed over to the TA truck stop to fill up on gas and drinks before getting back on the road.  As I pulled toward the parking spots in front of the store, I realized I should probably get gas while Jamie goes in to get drinks, so I threw it into reverse, and that's when this trip took an entirely different tone.  My 2000 GMC Jimmy with almost 100,000 miles made a very unhappy clunk sound, followed by a whirring from somewhere in the drive train.  I didn't even give it any gas, I just tried shifting back into forward, which seemed to work, except it was still making the whirring sound.  So I pulled into the nearest parking lot as Jamie and I exchanged worried looks, and we went inside to ask for directions to the nearest mechanic.

The cashier we talked to happened to be the wife of a mechanic (small town, anyone?) and she gave us directions to his shop.  Then we found out that reverse gear doesn't actually engage, as we tried to pull out of the parking spot.  Well damn, that's definitely a transmission problem.  But what the hell?  I just got the expensive transmission service before going on this trip to try and PREVENT any such problems.  Did they mess something up?

So I put it in neutral and both of us had to push as hard as we could to get it out of the spot.  Then I put it in forward gear and it made it out of the lot ok, so we drove slowly and carefully over to the mechanic.  When we were almost there, I noticed that the engine temperature gauge was approaching the red line...  higher than I had ever seen it.  NOT good.  We managed to park it in the mechanic's lot before it got any hotter.

The mechanic looked at it while his kids Edward and Abby tried to chat with the unfortunate out-of-towners like they're some friends from school.  He found the coolant incredibly low, and added like a gallon and a half.  I guess that was the cause of the overheating, but why was it so low?  They should have topped off my fluids when I got my oil change and transmission service 2 days before.  It was also incredibly dirty, which seems to be a recurrence of a problem I had a few years ago, but was supposedly fixed.

Anyway, the mechanic didn't actually work on transmissions, so he called around town and found the only shop that does.  We paid $10 for the coolant and headed over to the other shop, knowing that the mechanic there wouldn't even be able to LOOK at our vehicle for a day or two, but what other option do we have?  We made friends with the two dogs and a cat in the shop before the mechanic/owner Terry came out.  The cat was incredibly cute when it cuddled with one of the dogs, kneading its paws into it, etc.  Anyway, Terry seemed to have way more important problems than ours to deal with, so we were waiting around a lot.  Finally he walked out with me to the car and checked it out, shifting into several gears while giving it gas with the brake on just to see which gears work, I guess.  Then he pulled out the transmission fluid dip stick and smelled it, which told the bad story.  I hadn't smelled what transmission fluid normally smells like, but this definitely smelled like burnt metal to me.

Terry's educated guess at this point was we would need to replace the entire transmission, but he wouldn't know for sure until he took things apart and gave it a proper inspection, which he couldn't do until the following day or two.  We were going to need to leave the car with him and find a rental to continue our trip.  (After all this driving, with only 2 full days planned for visiting with family in Idaho, we couldn't give that up.  Besides, to stay in Rawlins until the car is fixed we'd need to pay to stay in a hotel, whereas our accommodations in Idaho were already set.)  Well guess what, none of the big chain car rental places can deliver a rental to Rawlins.  The nearest is in Rock Springs, over an hour away.  The only place to rent a car in Rawlins is from one small car dealership, and their rates are higher than the chain places, but as we were learning to say a lot now, "what option do we have?"  Thank goodness for credit cards.

We called the rental place and asked if they could pick us up at the mechanic's shop, but were told by the guy who answered the phone that the guy he would normally send out for us isn't back from somewhere else yet, but he'd send him over when he showed up.  Well at least now we knew we could get a rental and we just needed to wait for a ride, so we got things settled with Terry so he could work on the Jimmy while we're in Idaho and, depending what he finds out, hopefully have it fixed for when we pass through Rawlins on the way home in 3 days.  I left him my cell phone number so he could keep me updated.

Meanwhile, our rental car ride still hadn't shown up, and Terry took off for lunch.  Jamie spotted a gas station a few blocks away through a field and decided to walk there to get something to drink.  A little while after she got back, our ride finally showed up.  It wasn't the guy who was supposed to pick us up though, just someone else who happened to walk in and be available.  Whatever, we were thankful to be making progress at all.

The rental car place set us up with a 2007 Ford Taurus with a tape deck and a cracked windshield.  We moved our luggage and stuff into it, signed our lives away, and were finally on our way to Idaho again, 4 hours later than we had planned.  Fortunately, in our travel plans we left only 8 hours of driving on the 3rd day (whereas the first two days had 12 hours each).  So we just arrived in Sun Valley, Idaho around 11pm like the previous two stops, but not before some excitement in Utah...
  • Post a new comment


    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.