After playing with it for just a day, I've come up with a list of stuff Eudora needs.
- Movable Folders - I imported all my old mail, and it automatically put all the mailboxes into a neat folder structure, but I don't want to keep everything there - I want to move it out to the main tree to actually use it. But unfortunately only mailboxes (that hold only mail) can be moved around. Folders (that hold only mailboxes and other folders) cannot be moved. I would have to create a folder tree from scratch in the new location (merely up 2 branches) and move all the mailboxes manually. That's stupid.
- Import That Works - After importing all my old mail, I found that while most of it came over fine, the "Sent Items" folder that saves all my outgoing mail did not. Every message in that folder except one has a date of 1998. Clearly it didn't import the date field right, and that's sort of critical. Also, it wouldn't import my address book at all. That's not as critical to me because I don't use it as much as most people, but I did have some entries. I can't imagine nobody would complain about not getting their address book though.
- Windowless Interface Option - Maybe some people like having everything in its own window, but I don't. I'm not used to that, and I don't think I ever could be. I like the way my current client works: Click a mailbox in the tree once, and it displays in the right pane. Click another one, and that displays in place of the first one. In Eudora, I had to double-click a mailbox to get it to display, and then I had to remember to close it when I was done (lest I have 20 different ones open at once in a huge mess). It just seems like a lot of extra steps to me for the same function.
- More Tooltips - You know, those yellow text boxes that pop up when you mouseover something? I would like to see those pop up for strange icons I don't understand in the toolbar, so I can see what they'll do without having to click on them and find out by trial and error. It would also be nice if they would pop up showing the full text of addresses, dates, and subjects in fields that are too narrow to show the whole thing. I use that feature of my current client all the time. In Eudora I feel blind without it. Maybe they expect people to just open the message to see that info, but I don't want to open spam. I check those fields to decide whether I want to open it or not.
- Movable Columns - I don't like the order of the columns in mailbox windows, and I can't find any way to change it. I can only turn each one on or off.
I might find others if I kept playing with it, but I don't see any point in that. If they'd make those simple changes I could move over, but right now I can't. And unfortunately I can't tell them this because they won't listen to any non-paying customers, and I'm not going to pay for a product I can't use. So. Blah.